Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!

I know that if there was a picture posted of my dad in his remembrance, that he would choose, it would be one of his family. In his patriarchal blessing, he was told that his greatest joy would be his family. Today is my wonderful Father's birthday. He passed away when I was 8, but I will never forget the mark that he left on my life. I can honestly say that I don't have one bad memory of my dad. He was THE kindest, most patient, most Christlike person that I have ever known. He had true integrity, that of Steele. I hope to one day be able to be that good. He was an example to all that knew him, such a good friend, a real person, one that would want to get to know you on a very real personal level. I wish that I had been able to know him as an adult, but I know that he is doing a very important work right now and that his time on this earth was done. He has been with me through out my life in spirit, walking by my side in times of hardship, and in times of joy. He was my best friend when he was here and I feel so honored to be his daughter. I have a legacy to live up to, and his memory inspires me to be a better person. I love you Daddy and thank you for your perfect example and I can't wait to be with you again! all my love this wonderful day!

When my dad was sick with Cancer, before he passed away he wrote a really sweet poem to my family. I have posted for all to enjoy!



What can a man say
at a time like this?
When so much of life
has seemed to crash about him?

All I can say is, "Thanks, dear Lord,
for the vision which I never had before,
For now I KNOW my blessings, and
count then every day."

I'm a very blessed man, and I
wish to say that my greatest blessing (and comfort)
is knowing that the Gospel is true.
What solace in times of trial!

And now family looms higher on my list
of special, very special, parts of my life;
And of course my dear companion is my great light.
This test must be even more difficult for her than for me.

But oh, what strength and courage she has.
I've never known someone so great,
And I mean truly great,
in my life.

Precious, happy, healthy, bright children
give me hope that somehow their lives
will enhance my small contribution to this world.
Oh, how they have taught me, much, in their sweet innocence.

The Sorensen clan is quite a bunch!
A better model of Faith couldn't be found.
I sense deep, deep gratitude for all you do.
Surely Jesus approves of you and your loving natures.

Many things have taken on new perspective.
Like TIME, my most precious commodity!
And people, and relationships. And
the true meaning of love and friendship.

And simple things like
a fresh flower-
newly fallen snow and the stillness it brings-
young lovers holding hands, and the laughter they share so freely-
a restful night, or a day without pain-
or a quiet moment, or a beautiful melody-
Before, I missed much of the true beauty of life,
but know my eyes are OPEN, and I see God's hand everywhere.

The question "why?" has been uttered a thousand times,
by as many lips.
Sure, I wonder in my selection
to handle this burden.

Yet, the gospel comforts me,
Knowing that each must pass through his own Gethsemane.
I've never faced a greater mountain, and yet
I know God can work a miracle if I will just believe.

I know that "the son of man hath descended below all these things",
and that clearly I'm not greater than He.
And so I willingly submit myself to His will-
My destiny is truly in God's hands.

And whatever the outcome, I'll fight to the end-
so that God's molding program will have full effect on me.
And I'll never stop thanking Him for His wisdom, greater than mine,
and for this new vision of life which he has given me.

Thank you all sincerely for your love and support.
Together, with Faith, we WILL overcome.
May this Christmas be special, because
we put Jesus and others FIRST!

I love you all.
1982


..................Rand

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks Beckums. I love that poem. I miss him too! xox, Rachel

Michelle said...

Beautiful poem and sweet post, thank you for sharing.
xoxo, Michelle

Ellen said...

becky, i found your blog through the link on facebook. what an amazing father you have. i remember how great i thought he was in my limited interaction with him. what a fantastic tribute. i'm sure he's very proud of you!

-ellie

Jessica said...

Wow Becky, your dad sounds amazing. I am sure he is doing great work right now. Thanks for sharing the beautiful poem.

Heidi A. said...

Beckie,
You have caused me some deep tears today! How hard it must have been over many years of life to have that intense sense of loss and to miss him so deeply. Oh, how I hope that you will be blessed for the hard things that you have gone through!

The thing that brings me comfort in my own heartache is to know that the Lord will make-it-up-to-us someday. All our sorrows shall 'flee' away and our trials have carved out a bigger space for joy to fill.

One of my favorite hymns of late is: How Firm A Foundation vs. 4
"When through the deep waters I call thee to go, The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow, For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress".

He must be so pleased with you all and SO loving and concerned. What a blessing to have a righteous father!

Heidi A. said...

Becky,

I'm adding you to my SimplyMormon site? Thanks!!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Followers

Blog Archive