Triple Citrus Bars
If you cannot find fresh Key limes, use regular (Persian) limes. Do not use bottled lime or lemon juice. Grate the zest from the citrus fruit before juicing, avoiding the bitter white pith that lies just beneath the outermost skin. The optional coconut garnish adds textural interest and tames the citrus flavor for those who find it too intense. The recipe can be doubled and baked in a 13- by 9-inch baking pan; you will need a double layer of extra-wide foil for the pan (each sheet about 20 inches in length) and should increase the baking times by a minute or two. Mince zest after measuring.
Makes sixteen 2-inch bars
5 ounces animal crackers
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar (light or dark)
Pinch table salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
2 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest , minced
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest , minced
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest , minced
Pinch table salt
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg yolk
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice , either Key lime or regular
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut , toasted until golden and crisp
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2-inch width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch-square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. TO MAKE THE CRUST: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have about 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven.
3. TO MAKE THE FILLING: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zests, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add juices and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly).
4. TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
5. Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.)
STEP BY STEP: Building Key Lime Bars
1. Line pan with foil sling, then coat with cooking spray.
2. Press crumb mixture firmly and evenly into pan.
3. Pour filling into prebaked crust and spread into corners.
- 212 movie
- Ashley Ram
- cutest blogs on the block
- fruit basket review
- Fudge and Candy
- hotel park city
- man on a wire
- michelle's wedding photos
- simple truths
- Tiffany Mar Photography
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (26)
- Happy Birthday Daddy!
- November 4th
- God permits the righteous to suffer for a purpose
- Mount Olympus
- Ruth's Chris
- lovely quotes :)
- Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies
- Let virtue garnish they thoughts/ As a Man Thinket...
- Mosiah 4; 16-22
- baked mac and cheese
- Kahlua Cake
- Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Chicken Marbella
- Cheese, Chicken, Potato Casserole
- Café Rio Pork
- Triple Citrus Bars
- Andes Crème de Menthe Cookies
- Nanaimo Bar Recipe
- Monster Cookies
- Butterscotch Banana Cake
- Pumpkin Spiced and Iced Cookies
- Zucchini Bread with almond extract
- More Quotes! :)
- Deep Thoughts
- A walk down memory lane
- A walk down memory lane
- My Wonderful Family
- An Enabling Power
- The Lord will Provide
- The Lord tests the faith and patience of his peopl...
- Developing Christlike Attributes By President Diet...
- "For a man to conquer himself is the first and nob...
- "Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secr...
- "It is a serious thing to live in a society of pos...
- "When the Lord measures an individual, He does not...
- Salt Lake City Temple
- Congratulations to Michelle and Brannen Mehaffey!
- Michelle's Wedding
- Michelles wedding
- ▼ October (40)